Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Fair, Honest, Kind

Today at work I was a part of an unfortunate situation where someone who had made a mistake had to be confronted on the mistake.  She had tried to turn it around and make it look like it had been my mistake but when Department Directors began pointing fingers, it had to be taken care of.  We all met together and went over the situation from beginning to end.  I realized that there were two ways I could aproach our meeting.  1- I could go in and embarrass her with facts that clearly showed she made serious errors.  I could accuse her and tell her I didn't appreciate her lying about what happened, to save her own skin.
2- Or I could go in and be diplomatic and bring to the attention of everyone that we all make mistakes and the important thing is to learn from them.  Thankfully no serious harm was done.  I could be a part of the solution without pointing fingers and causing shame. 
I chose number 2.  Before I went in to the meeting,I prayed that I would say the right things.  That I would be fair, honest, and kind, no matter what was said by others. 
It went well.
When we left, my director told me that she was impressed with how well I had handled myself in that situation.
I believe in prayer. 
I believe in being kind no matter what! 
I believe that even when we are right, feelings matter. 
I did not want to create a situation where it would be uncomfortable for us to work together in the future.  My calm nature during the meeting seemed to spread to everyone and no one felt the need to accuse or point fingers or get angry.  I was secure in what I had done to make sure that my job was done correctly and it mattered less that people knew I was right, than that they understood that mistakes can happen and they need to be corrected as quickly as possible.
Today felt good.
Being Fair, Honest, and Kind at all times really does matter, and really does make a difference!

Today While The Sun Shines: I will acknowledge answers to prayers of the heart.  I will allow the Spirit to speak through me.  I will set my pride aside and remember that "Kindness Matters".


"Do not pray for tasks equal to your abilities, but pray for abilities equal to your tasks. "                        Thomas S. Monson

“Pray always, and I will pour out my Spirit upon you, and great shall be your blessing.”                     Doctrine and Covenants 19:38

"For if ye would hearken unto the Spirit which teacheth a man to pray ye would know that ye must pray; for the evil spirit teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must not pray."
   2 Nephi 32:8-9

 "And the Spirit shall be given unto you by the prayer of faith;"
     Doctrine and Covenants 42:14

"And again, I command thee that thou shalt pray vocally as well as in thy heart."
     Doctine and Covenants 19:28

No comments: