Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday, Monday. . . So good to me!

I saw a patient today who is a breast cancer survivor!  She asked me when I had my last mammogram.  Too long!  She told me to get it done. . . today!  So I did.  I called my Dr.  and made an appointment for right when I got off work.  My Dr. scolded me . . . . it had been 5----yes F-I-V-E years!  I had an exam and was told that the hospital would be calling me to make a mammogram appointment.  Simple as that!  It feels good to have done something good for myself. 

Maybe you have never had a mammogram and you are looking at the above pic and thinking "NO WAY"!  Well, there are things you can do to prepare yourself for the event.  The following is a little blurb I found that really puts things in perspective as far as what to expect. . .
"Many women are afraid of their first mammogram, but there is no need to worry. By taking a few minutes each day for a week preceding the exam and doing the following practice exercises, you will be totally prepared for the test. Best of all, you can do these simple practice exercises right in your home.


Exercise 1: Open your refrigerator door and insert one breast between the door and the main box. Have one of your strongest friends slam the door shut as hard as possible and lean on the door for good measure. Hold that position for five seconds. Repeat again in case the first time wasn't effective enough.

Exercise 2: Visit your garage at 3 a.m. when the temperature of the cement floor is just perfect. Take off all your clothes and lie comfortably on the floor with one breast wedged under the rear tire of the car. Ask a friend to slowly back the car up until your breast is sufficiently flattened and chilled. Turn over and repeat for the other breast.


Exercise 3: Freeze two metal bookends overnight. Strip to the waist. Invite a stranger into the room. Have the stranger press the bookends against either side of one of your breasts and smash the bookends together as hard as she can. Repeat for the other breast. Set an appointment with the stranger to meet next year to do it again. "

Today While The Sun Shines:  I will remember what a blessing each day is and will take care of this miraculous body that God has given to me. (even if it means doing something I REALLY don't enjoy doing!!!)

Now, to all of my womanly friends out there. . . . . . when is the last time YOU had a Mammogram?  What are you waiting for?  Git er done!!!!!  : )

No comments: